To receive a Sapphire Challenge Award, a child must demonstrate:
- excellent diction, projection and articulation. A wide range of vocal dynamics;
- excellent vocal intonation and the ability to sing different styles of music sensitively and lyrically in character and in time with the musical accompaniment;
- energy, coordination, rhythm, character and precision when performing a varied, imaginative and creative self-choreographed dance;
- a wide vocabulary, fluency, excellent listening and questioning skills,
- the use of humour and eye contact when speaking and in conversation;
- a good ability to portray character displaying understanding of the use of vocal and physical traits;
- good consistent improvisation skills when in character.
During the assessment, the student may be asked to do any of the following:
- Perform a one minute modern speech/monologue of their choice in character;
- Perform a musical theatre song of their choice with musical accompaniment;
- Perform a self-choreographed dance to music. This should be rehearsed at home and last no more than two minutes (please bring the music on CD or on an mp3 player with standard stereo audio output);
- Prepare a character to use in an improvised dualogue with the Challenger.