To receive a Sapphire Challenge Award, a child must demonstrate:
- excellent diction, projection and articulation. A wide range of vocal dynamics;
- excellent vocal intonation and the ability to sing different styles of music sensitively and lyrically in character and in time with the musical accompaniment;
- energy, coordination, rhythm, character and precision when performing a varied, imaginative and creative self-choreographed dance;
- a wide vocabulary, fluency, excellent listening and questioning skills,
- the use of humour and eye contact when speaking and in conversation;
- a good ability to portray character displaying understanding of the use of vocal and physical traits;
- good consistent improvisation skills when in character.
During the assessment, the student may be asked to do any of the following:
- Perform a one minute modern speech/monologue of their choice in character;
- Perform a musical theatre song of their choice with musical accompaniment;
- Perform a self-choreographed dance to music. This should be rehearsed at home and last no more than two minutes (if your child needs their own recorded music, please bring this on a device such as a phone so that it can be connected to the Challenger's speaker);
- Prepare a character to use in an improvised duologue with the Challenger.